UPDATED AS OF 4:45, MARCH 9, 2020 WITH COMMENTS FROM WANDFLUH:
Last week saw several big names in fluid power declare they were either canceling their presence at IFPE or just no longer sending personnel to staff their booths, as companies clamped down on business travel nationwide.
New companies to add to the list no longer exhibiting include
- Bosch Rexroth
- Gates Industrial
- Schaeffler Group USA Inc.
- Dana Inc.
- Schroeder Industries
- Helios Technologies, parent company of Sun Hydraulics.
- Nachi America
- Additionally, the International Fluid Power Society also backed out the event.
Most companies released statements, sharing their regret but saying that the health and safety of their teams determined the cancelation.
On the positive side, a handful of companies issued public statements of commitment to the events. Poclain Hydraulics and TH Holdings, parent company of Texas Hydraulics, Oilgear and Hydromotion released the following comments:
Gary Gotting -V.P. of Product Management, wants to confirm that while Wandfluh is fully engaged and aware of the difficult decisions many companies have made concerning a presence at this years IFPE, Wandfluh of America are still here with our team, to exhibit the latest products, innovations and solutions at booth S80259 and all of us are very much looking forward to sharing what we have with attendees of the show that come to see us.
Poclain Hydraulics would like to announce that after thought and consideration we have decided to continue as planned to exhibit at ConExpo/IFPE 2020. We understand that some global hydraulic manufacturers have decided to withdraw and we respect each company’s decision. We will be instructing our staff to follow the health protocols recommended by AEM and NFPA and will be fully equipped with hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies at our booth. Please consider stopping by Poclain’s booth at S81613 and we look forward to a safe, healthy and successful show.
Texas Hydraulics, Oilgear and Hydromotion are committed to ConExpo-Con/AGG and IFPE 2020. Safety is who we are as a company and we are approaching next week with the same commitment. We are taking the necessary precautions to keep our employees, customers and partners who visit our booth safe. We look forward to seeing our customers and partners next week and will welcome them into our booth enthusiastically – but without a handshake.
At least two ConExpo-Con/AGG companies issued statements of commitment to the event, including RD Olson Manufacturing and Volvo, which had stated last Thursday that it had instituted a travel ban on all employees despite its booth essentially being almost fully constructed with machines in place. Here is the company’s reactive statement:
Since announcing our decision to withdraw from Conexpo-Con/Agg 2020 due to the coronavirus, Volvo CE has been working very closely with our partners at AEM to determine the best path forward.
At this point in preparations it would not be possible for Volvo CE to remove the equipment and dismantle the booth before the show begins. Instead, a small number of locally hired independent staff will remain on the site for the duration of the show. The booth will be ready for show opening.
Volvo CE is deeply appreciative of AEM’s collaboration in this difficult moment and recognizes the great value that the Conexpo-Con/Agg show brings to our industry and our customers every three years.
I did reach out to Volvo officials and was told the temporary booth staff were hired to keep the place safe, and will not be knowledgable enough to speak about the products.
“With all the news about COVID-19 and the speculation regarding CONEXPO-CON/AGGand IFPE, I want to provide an update on planning, including commitments and cancellations. Here is where we stand,” said AEM President Dennis Slater. “The CONEXPO-CON/AGG cancellations that we’ve received represent 44,950 square feet out of 2.7 million net sq. ft. of exhibit space, which represents about 1.7% of the total space. We’ve re-sold 15,000 square feet of this cancelled space.”
AEM said that it has added 18,000 new registrants since February 21 when the travel restrictions and coronavirus started to have an impact. That total is far outpacing the last show and also cancellations to date. Total registrations as of Friday is over 120,000 and climbing.
For IFPE, the event has been harder hit by cancellations due to the large international exhibitor presence and corporate travel policies. The IFPE cancellations received represent 34,680 square feet, which represents about 20% of the show floor. AEM has re-sold 3,300 square feet of this cancelled space.
“We know customers are committed to attending the show in numbers and they are expecting to see and purchase equipment from the manufacturers of the best equipment in the world,” said Slater. “Please know we are committed to hosting safe and successful shows. Our top priority is focused on the health and safety of all participants at CONEXPO-CON/AGG and IFPE 2020, including attendees, exhibitors, vendors, staff, industry partners, and others involved in the shows.”
More information about the precautions AEM is taking can be found here https://www.conexpoconagg.com/visit/covid-19-update.