U.S. Deputy Secretary of Commerce Rebecca Blank announced the appointment of 26 members to the 2013 Manufacturing Council. The Council, established in 2004 and directed by the Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration, helps to ensure that there is regular communication between the U.S. government and the manufacturing sector.
The Council is comprised of up to 30 members that represent a diverse cross section of the manufacturing industry, including steel, textile, semiconductor, and medical manufacturers. Their products support a wide range of industries such as the auto, apparel, aerospace, and energy efficiency sectors.
The Council advises the Secretary of Commerce on government policies and programs that affect U.S. manufacturing and provides a forum for proposing solutions to industry-related problems. The Council also works to ensure that the United States remains the preeminent destination for investment in manufacturing throughout the world. The Secretaries of Labor, Energy, and Treasury serve as ex officio members of the Council to better collaborate on cross-cutting issues the Council will address.
Manufacturing is a key industry in the revitalization of the U.S. economy and the growth of U.S. jobs. The United States is the world’s largest manufacturing economy, employing nearly 12 million Americans in 2012, and responsible for the production of $1.7 trillion in manufactured products in 2011, or 11.5 percent of U.S. GDP.
The full list of appointed Manufacturing Council members is below*
- Michael Laszkiewicz, Vice President and General Manager, Rockwell Automation, Chair (WI)
- Mary Isbister, President, GenMet, Vice Chair (WI)
- Joseph B. Anderson, Jr., Chairman & CEO, TAG Holdings LLC (MI)
- Christie Wong Barrett, CEO, Mac Arthur Corporation (MI)
- Gregory W. Booth, President & CEO, Zippo Manufacturing Company (PA)
- Stephan G. Braig, President & CEO, Trexel Incorporated (MA)
- J. Joseph Burgess, President & CEO, Aegion Corporation (MO)
- Michael J. Cadigan, General Manager, Microelectronics Systems and Technology Group, IBM (NY)
- Carlos M. Cardoso, Chairman, President & CEO, Kennametal Incorporated (PA)
- Mark Chandler, Senior Vice President, Cisco Systems Incorporated (CA)
- Cody Friesen, President and Chief Technical Officer, Fluidic Energy (AZ)
- Hiroyuki Fujita, President & CEO, Quality Electrodynamics, LLC (OH)
- John W. Grabner, President, Cardinal Fastener Inc. (OH)
- Dr. Albert M. Green, CEO, Kent Displays Incorporated (OH)
- David Hastings, President & CEO, Mount Vernon Mills Incorporated (SC)
- Eric L. Kelly, President & CEO, Overland Storage (CA)
- Joel Lorentzen, CEO, Genesis Systems Group (IA)
- Claudine Martinez, President & General Counsel, MCT Industries (NM)
- Shirish Pareek, Founder & CEO, Hydraulex Global (MI)
- Andra Rush, CEO, The Rush Group (MI)
- Susan Smyth, Director – Manufacturing Systems Lab, General Motors Company (MI)
- Roy Sweatman, President, Southern Manufacturing Technologies Incorporated (FL)
- Jeff Wilcox, Vice President – Engineering, Lockheed Martin Corporation (MD)
- Carol Williams, Executive Vice President – Manufacturing & Engineering, Supply Chain and Environmental, Health & Safety Operations, The Dow Chemical Company (MI)
- Bill Yeargin, President & CEO, Correct Craft (FL)
- Bill Zahner, President & CEO, A. Zahner Company (MO)
*Italicized members indicate new members.
For more information on the Manufacturing Council visit, click here.